Social Media Specialist
Moosey Lucy dreams of owning a unicorn, is Moose’s newest recruit and Queen of Snapchat. She keeps us on our toes in the office with her prodigious work ethic matched only by her jelly bean in-take! Link in with Lucy
Welcome to Snapchat
Snapchat has been around since 2011 (I know seriously its really been that long) and since then it has grown into one of the biggest social media platforms across the world. Although it has grown to such a popular form of communication there are still so many who are in the dark as to what its purpose is. Snapchat has 166 million daily active users* who send up to an average of 3 billion snaps per day*. A huge network of people are sharing the dog filter (We need a Moose filter, Ed), flower and crown snaps with their friends and followers.
- Its fast, fun and free
- Not as much pressure for a perfect post
- Snaps disappear after 10 seconds , 30 seconds for videos and 24 hours on stories
- More visibility, people click on your snaps, not lost in a crowded news feed… they STAND OUT
- Knowledge of when people are viewing, you can see when people have opened messages/snaps.
- A millennial demographic
- MORE CONTROL over analytics.
All sounds pretty great right?
So now you want to know how you can join in on the fun? Don’t worry Moose have you covered and in the words of Julie Andrews “lets start at the very beginning”.
- Download the app – It sounds obvious I know but you can download the free app from Apple and Android app stores.
- Sign up– Enter your first and last name and click the ‘Sign up& Accept’ button / Enter your date of birth/ Pick a username/ Set a Password/ Enter Your Email/ Enter your phone number/ Enter the verification code/ You’re on!
- Add some friends– Click on the top left hand corner and you will be taken to a page with your snap code and the options of ‘Added Me’ ‘Add Friends’ and ‘My Friends’. Now unlike other apps where there is suggested followers Snapchat doesn’t have this but most celebrities, business etc have their snapchat name easy accessible. There is also the option under ‘Add Friends’ to add the people in your contacts who have snapchat (this is a great way to quickly connect with your friends) also the ‘Quick Add’ option is great for friend suggestions. The more friends on snapchat the better as its all about being social.
- Show Off– Advertise your new venture onto Snapchat by sharing your Snapcode with your friends. You can do this by sharing the Snapcode found on the add friends page or just by sharing your username on your other forms of social media or to those around you. The Snapcode makes it easier for others to add you as this is the cool bit you can just scan your snapchat camera over someones Snapcode and it will add them automatically!
- Snap, Snap Away– Now you have the people to share your snaps with you are ready to go. Play around with the different filters on the camera screen by turning the camera to front camera and press over your face and the different filters will show up along the bottom of the screen. Press the circle to capture your picture or keep your finger pressed down to record a 30 second video. Once you have taken your snap and before you send there is the option in some areas to add filters which are just different tones to the photos and ‘Geofilters’ which are little graphics that can say where you are or adverts from business. After you have selected your final snap you can Send, do this by pressing the ‘Send To’ arrow and selecting your friends one by one or press the ‘My Story’ option to add to your story for all to see.
- Replying– Now hopefully you will be getting some snaps back and to open those you just press on the name and watch the snap play out. To reply you can double tap their name or slide your finger to the left to send them a direct message back!
Now my new snappers,
I hope this has given you all the info you need for the basics of how to use Snapchat. If you found this article helpful and want to find out more don’t forget to follow Moose on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for more tips on how to make the most out of snapchat especially as a business.
Next up I will be writing about Snapchat’s new maps feature, followed by some helpful hints for Snapchat for business.